What our delegates say about this course
“I found a lot of the course material extremely interesting. I especially like the video context, and the presentation. Dyslexia Action have excelled!”- Ross Thomas
“The course was perfect, the timing, the material, tasks were very well planned.” – Sarah Hejazi
[The course] allowed me to understand the brain and behaviour in a way which will ensure I’m more empathetic and more purposeful in my use of language and strategies.- Celia North
Why take this short course?
The Emotionally Connected Classroom (RT00001) – This short Level 5 CPD Unit aims to provide an understanding of the impact of emotions on the thinking brain and its implications for learning. It aims to give an introduction to key elements of current research and practice in mentalisation theory (understanding the mental state of oneself and others) and emotional coaching. The importance of connectedness and relationships.
On completion of The Emotionally Connected Classroom the participant will be able to:
- Understand the impact of stress and trauma on the brain
- Discuss pupils’ emotions and the impact this can have on their behaviour
- Identify ideas for developing relational based practice in your provision
- Apply strategies to build pupils resources and resilience to manage their emotions
How is the course delivered?
- The course is delivered online which offers you the flexibility to organise your time to fit around your professional and personal commitments. It also saves you the time and expense of travel and classroom attendance
- Dyslexia Action uses the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) Campus Online as the method of delivery for SEMH units.
- Total study time is 3-5 hrs a week (20-30 hours total study over a 7 week period)
- Tutor support is offered throughout the duration of the course
- This qualification equates to Level 5 on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) and the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF)
- Be qualified to at least level 3 (‘A’ level) on the UK qualifications framework or have other equivalent qualifications and relevant experience. Teaching assistants must be mentored by a qualified teaching professional whilst on the course
- Qualified classroom teachers or teaching or learning assistants and be currently (or recently within the last 2 years) employed to work with learners in the UK or internationally
- Qualified learning or adult support tutor and be currently (or recently within the last 2 years) employed to work with learners in a further or higher education educational setting or those working in a support function
- Have a minimum English language ability level such as: IELTS 6 or TOEFL 60-78 points.
Please note: We reserve the right to request information in support of all applications from a headteacher or other suitably qualified line manager or referee.
- Pay online by debit/credit card at the time of registration £295+VAT.
- Pay later/Invoice upfront option £320+VAT (this price includes an additional fee of £25+VAT for those choosing not to pay online at time of registration.All monies must be received before the start of the course, the pay later option is only available up to 2 weeks before the start of the course)
The SEMH CPD Programme runs four times a year with start dates in, January, March, July and November. Our next available for 2021/2022 are:
- 19 January 2022
- 16 March 2022
- 13 July 2022
- November 2022 – TBC
Please note: as it takes time to process your application and payment, we strongly recommend registering as soon as possible, so that you don’t miss the next intake.
If you want to apply for any of the above courses, please go to our Make a booking page.