What is The Dyslexia Guild?
The Dyslexia Guild is a membership body which welcomes all individuals with a professional interest in dyslexia and specific learning difficulties (SpLD).
What does the Guild offer:
Download our membership information leaflet here and select from our menu’s below.
Who can join?
The Guild is an open membership group with members working and learning in a wide range of settings. The Guild welcomes all professionals with an interest in dyslexia/SpLD and has a special rate for organisations. Click on the drop down menu below to join.
Dyslexia/SpLD specialist teachers and assessors, teaching assistants, SENCos, learning support staff and tutors from further and higher education, speech and language therapists, psychologists and librarians.
Directory of members
Professional membership for Study Skills Tutors
Support Staff who require professional membership for NMH/DFE/DSA-QAG registration can find further details and how to apply by clicking on Membership grades drop down below and downloading the information document. We cannot confirm that you would be eligible for this level of membership over the telephone.
Our members benefit from a wealth of resources and services including:
- A directory of members A great place to advertise your contact details to those seeking tuition or assessment or study skills support
- Designatory Letters – Associate (ADG), Associate FE/HE (ADG FE/HE), Member (MDG), Fellow (FDG) – Please scroll down for more information
- Free access to a dedicated Guild Member’s website which contains access to online forums, previously recorded webinars, conference papers and much more.
- Free access to online forums with our specialist moderators offering question and answer sessions (including assessment and APC, exam access arrangements and a general section)
- Free access to our specialist library which includes online books and journals and other resources relating to the field of dyslexia and specific learning difficulties (including the loan of test materials, terms apply)
- Free copies of the Dyslexia Review magazine, published twice a year. The Review is a topical journal that features academic articles, cutting-edge research, updates, book and assessment test reviews. Download a sample copy
- Free quarterly e-newsletter, the guild gallery
- A vibrant annual conference providing discussion, information and best practice in the field of dyslexia/SpLD;
- 10% discount on products sold through our online resources shop
- Discounts on selected specialist courses
- Dyslexia Action is approved to issue Assessment Practising Certificates for those carrying out assessments in schools and colleges and in support of the Disabled Students Allowance, recognised by the SpLD Assessment Standards Committee (SASC)
- Professional indemnity insurance at preferential rates
For a reduced cost, you can sign up for our affiliate membership which has the following restrictions:
- Online Library Access only (no hard copies)
- Online Dyslexia Review only (no hard copies)
- No designatory letters or membership grade higher than Affiliate
Dyslexia Guild Membership Grades
Dyslexia Guild members are eligible for designatory letters in recognition of their qualifications and professional status. If you are a current Guild member who has not yet updated your qualifications please click here.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Dyslexia Guild members are encouraged to undertake regular professional development to improve their personal practice and are expected to undertake, as a minimum, 30 hours of CPD a year. All members of the Guild commit to uphold the Dyslexia Guild Code of Practice.
Our grades of membership are as follows:
- Affiliate Members are working or studying in a relevant educational setting and are gaining suitable experience in the field of dyslexia/SpLD. They do not have Guild designatory letters after their name. This grade is not suitable for NMH members, see Associate FE/HE.
- Associate Members (ADG)* are professional members and specialist teachers with a level 5 or level 7 specialist teaching qualification in dyslexia/SpLD.
- Associate Members (ADG FE/HE)* are professional members and support tutors in further and higher education. They have gained membership through Accreditation of Prior Experience and Learning (APEL) and hold qualifications relevant to student support for Non-Medical Helpers (NMH) Band 4 Study skills.
For further information please see: Professional membership guide for one-to-one study skills tutors DSA-QAG
- Members (MDG) are professional members and specialist teacher assessors with a level 7 specialist teacher/assessor qualification in dyslexia/SpLD.
- Fellows (FDG) are professional members and specialist teacher assessors with a level 7 specialist teacher/assessor qualification in dyslexia/SpLD. They hold a minimum of 7 years specialist teaching and 4 years specialist assessment experience in dyslexia/SpLD.
*If you are unsure if your qualifications are eligible please email copies of your degree/relevant SpLD certificates, current curriculum vitae and a covering note to: firstname.lastname@example.org if you are applying for ADG FE/HE membership for DSA-QAG purposes then please ensure you have read this document BEFORE applying.
If you are unhappy with the decision concerning your grade of membership with The Dyslexia Guild, there is an appeal process available please see: Membership Application Appeals.
The Dyslexia Guild also offers:
- a Group Membership Scheme for educational establishments who wish to offer membership for up to four staff on an Affiliate basis.
- a Business Affiliate Scheme for recognised providers of educational services and/or materials who wish to endorse and support the work of the Dyslexia Guild.
- Please note: Neither of these schemes are suitable for APC holders or NMH members.
For further information please email us or telephone 01784 222 342.
Guild Membership – UK and Overseas
Join today to start enjoying the wealth of benefits available to Guild Members. The general member rate is applicable to the following grades of membership:
There are different levels of membership available please see below to select which one is most appropriate for you:
Associate; Associate FE/HE; Member
These are the professional membership grades for specialist teachers, teacher assessors and support tutors.
Please note If you require membership for DSA-NMA Study Skills (FE/HE) you should not sign up before reading this information and providing us with the required items listed on the sheet Professional membership guide for one-to-one study skills tutors DSA-QAG
- Pay Online: £72+VAT
- Direct Debit: £62+VAT (not suitable for DSA-NMA Study Skills ADG FE/HE members)
- Pay Later: £97+VAT (please note if you choose to pay later by cheque or bank transfer the invoice will be raised including an additional fee of £72, plus £25+VAT)
- Apply or renew now
- Terms and conditions
N.B. Affiliate members who wish to access full membership benefits may do so at this rate but will not gain designatory letters without meeting the relevant criteria.
Already a current member? Click here to update your qualifications to receive designatory letters.
Affiliate Membership (reduced)
Does not confer designatory letters and gives access to a reduced range of mainly electronic benefits. It is suitable for those who do not meet the professional membership requirements; for those who are studying on professional courses, or for educators who have a general interest in Dyslexia/SpLD. This rate is also available to specialist teachers and assessors who have retired from professional employment.
Please note: This level of membership is not suitable for APC holders or DSA-NMH Study Skills Tutors.
- Pay Online:£46+VAT
- Direct Debit:£36+VAT
- Pay Later: £72+VAT (please note if you choose to pay later by cheque or bank transfer the invoice will be raised including an additional fee of £46, plus £25+VAT)
- Apply now
- Terms and conditions
Is the recognition of achievement and a significant contribution to the field. It is for those who demonstrate a commitment to advancing standards, best practice and encourage this in their peers. Fellows must have held Guild membership for at least a year and meet the specified requirements on how to apply which you can find here.
- Pay Online:£100+VAT
- Direct Debit:£80+VAT
- Pay Later: £125+VAT (please note if you choose to pay later by cheque or bank transfer the invoice will be raised including an additional fee of £100, plus £25+VAT)
- Terms and conditions
Is open to schools, colleges, university departments, library services, publishers and other professional groups involved in the education of people with dyslexia.
- Up to 4 named members can be included in this membership.
- Group members receive two (hard) copies of the Dyslexia Review (plus four soft copies)
- A reduced rate entry to our annual summer conference for any number of staff
- Please email us for details (preferably providing us at the time with the names and email addresses of the four members of staff, a purchase order number for invoicing and finance department contact details)
Please note Group membership is not suitable for holders of APC’s or DSA-QAG Study Skills.
- Pay Online: £220+VAT
- Direct Debit: £210+VAT
- Pay Later: £245+VAT
- (please note if you choose to pay later by cheque or bank transfer the invoice will be raised including an additional fee of £220, plus £25+VAT)
- Terms and conditions
Is for providers of educational materials who wish to endorse and support the work of the Dyslexia Guild. Please email us for details.
- Pay Online: £500+VAT
- Direct Debit: £450+VAT
- Pay Later: £525+VAT
- (please note if you choose to pay later by cheque or bank transfer the invoice will be raised including an additional fee of £500, plus £25+VAT)
For further information please email us or call 01784 222342.
Current Guild Members and Log in
Please click here to access the Guild Members’ website which includes:
If you experience difficulties with logging in to the Guild Member website please email us or call 01784 222 304.