What our delegates say about our courses
“I am currently studying my sixth unit with Dyslexia Action and have found them enormously interesting and helpful. It’s absolutely fantastic for me to be learning how to support children who are experiencing blocks to learning. I have found the forums fantastic for sourcing extra material and ‘read around’ different subject areas, the forum is also a good source of moral support and practical help with the assignment.”
“The support offered here is excellent, the tutors are always available to help and I would highly recommend you study with Dyslexia Action”
“This is an excellent short CPD course for me and I have enjoyed every single minute of it. I am very pleased that the course run during the summer period, as this is the only time I can do any course to improve my skills. The tutors are very supportive.”
“Excellent well structured and supported courses! Thank you!”
“The course provided a practical solution to CPD when other courses were impossible due to cost, time and location”
The Certificate in Supporting Literacy in Learners with Dyslexia (DACRT51)
is a Primary and Secondary SpLD Practitioner/Teacher qualifications are ideal for a wide range of education professionals including teachers, teaching assistants, and other practitioners based in a classroom setting.
Delivered entirely online, the Primary and Secondary Level 4 SpLD Practitioner/Teacher Qualification is created by experts with a real-world educational experience to empower delegates with practical and actionable skills, allowing you not only to engage with students with increased confidence but also create a pathway for professional progression to the Level 5 Diploma in Strategic Teaching Support for Dyslexia and Literacy.
By joining the Primary and Secondary Level 4 SpLD Practitioner/Teacher qualifications you will:
- Add real value to your educational setting, bringing new skills and abilities to create the optimum outcomes for students in your care
- Develop practical competence and personal confidence in your strategies in working with students with literacy challenges
- Learn whilst you study, with our practice-led approach helping embed your new theoretical knowledge in your real-world circumstances
- Start on the pathway to gaining the Level 5 Diploma in Specialist Teaching for Literacy-Related Difficulties (DIST) which once completed, would make you eligible for Associate Membership (ADG) of The Dyslexia Guild
Discover the Certificate Content
The Primary/Secondary SpLD Practitioner/Teacher qualifications are made up of six units:
Award in Perspectives on Dyslexia DAAWD51:
Award in Developing Literacy Skills in Learners with Dyslexia DAAWD52:
The following unit is not part of this pathway certificate but can be swapped out for either DACPD84, 85 or 86
- Be qualified to at least level 3 (‘A’ level) on the UK qualifications framework or have other equivalent qualifications and relevant experience
- Teaching assistants must be mentored by a qualified teaching professional whilst on the course
Participants should normally be employed as a:
- Qualified classroom teachers or teaching or learning assistants with at least one year of recent and relevant teaching or learning support experience in a dyslexia/literacy support setting in the UK or internationally
- Have a minimum English language ability level such as IELTS 6 or TOEFL 60-78 points.
Please note: We reserve the right to request information in support of all applications from a headteacher or other suitably qualified line manager or referee.
CPD Progression - is this Certificate part of a Diploma qualification?
This Certificate is part of a wider CPD programme which offers the opportunity to choose from a range of study options:
You cannot book this Certificate outright but must book either:
- Units DACPD51, 52, 53, 84, 85 or 86 individually
- Units 51, 52 & 53 as an Award in Perspectives on Dyslexia (DAAWD51)
Units 84, 85 & 86 as an Award in Developing Literacy Skills in Learners with Dyslexia – (DAAWD52)
By booking an Award you will save a total of £30 as opposed to booking the Units individually
- You can swap the Numeracy unit DACPD99 for either DACPD84, 85 or 86
- If you complete The Level 4 Certificate in Supporting Literacy in Learners with Dyslexia (DACRT51)* you may be considered to move on to the Level 5 Diploma in Specialist Teaching for Literacy-Related Difficulties (DIST parts two and three)
Completion of DIST will confer eligibility for Associate Membership of The Dyslexia Guild (ADG) recognised as the first grade of professional membership for a specialist teacher/practitioner.
The Level 5 Diploma in Specialist Teaching for Literacy-Related Difficulties is subject to accreditation by the British Dyslexia Association for Approved Teacher Status or Approved Practitioner Status (ATS/APS) and approved by The CPD Standards Office.
When can I start, how do I apply and how much does it cost?
Courses run six times a year with start dates in September, November, January, March, May, and July
- You can sign up for each unit individually paying per unit as you study, £295+VAT
Interested in signing up for individual units? Please complete an online booking form here.
Qualifications you can trust