Why take this short course?
DACPD92 – This Level 5 Unit begins with a consideration of what is meant by study skills. It goes on to explore the barriers to learning that can impede the development of study skills in learners with dyslexia and the teaching methods that can improve their access to learning.
On completion, participants will be able to:
- Identify the skills and attributes needed by the learner for effective self-study
- Identify difficulties that learners with dyslexia may experience in developing study skills
- Describe a range of strategies that will develop study skills in learners with dyslexia
- Critically reflect current practice and offer suggestions for improvement
How is the course delivered?
- The course is delivered online which offers you the flexibility to organise your time to fit around your professional and personal commitments. It also saves you the time and expense of travel and classroom attendance
- Total study time is 3-5 hrs a week (20-30 hours total study over a 7 week period)
- Tutor support is offered throughout the duration of the course
- This qualification equates to Level 4 or 5 on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) and the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF)
- Be qualified to at least level 3 (‘A’ level) on the UK qualifications framework or have other equivalent qualifications and relevant experience. Teaching assistants must be mentored by a qualified teaching professional whilst on the course
- Qualified classroom teachers or teaching or learning assistants and be currently (or recently within the last 2 years) employed to work with learners in the UK or internationally
- Qualified learning or adult support tutor and be currently (or recently within the last 2 years) employed to work with learners in a further or higher education educational setting or those working in a support function
- Have a minimum English language ability level such as: IELTS 6 or TOEFL 60-78 points if English is second language
- Pay online by debit/credit card at the time of registration £295+VAT.
- Pay later £320+VAT (this price includes an additional fee of £25+VAT for those choosing not to pay online at time of registration. All monies must be received before the start of the course, the pay later option is only available up to 2 weeks before the start of the course)
Please click on the date below to make a booking.
What our delegates say about us
“One of the most beneficial effects of the course has been to help me understand the process of writing assignments from the point of view of a student. It has given me much more empathy and I will be reflecting on the experience to help me better support my learners.”
“I have really enjoyed the course. I have found the reading really stimulating, interesting and informative. I feel like I have learned a lot and it has helped me understand and empathise much more with the challenges adults with dyslexia face. I now feel much more equipped and enabled to support my students with the development of their study skills to enable independence and metacognition.”
“I have found the course invaluable in developing my tutoring skills and interaction with my students. It’s been great to be able to say I’m working towards a deadline too when they’ve got essay deadlines looming, and we could then share strategies and approaches for organisation etc. I particularly enjoyed designing the structural activity and discussing it with students. It also helped to focus my wider reading and to research different aspects that I may not have previously considered.”
“Thank you for such an illuminating and stimulating unit. You have encouraged us to engage fully with the challenge of developing writing skills in dyslexic learners, and I have found a number of very useful techniques which I am looking forward to using with my students. I also enjoyed interacting with the Unit Forum which was a compulsory element in this run of courses: a good thing as it makes the interactive aspect of the course come alive much more! The assignment also made me think about how to improve my practice.”
I have just read through my marked assignment questions with your comments. I simply wanted to say a big thank you for your encouraging words and for all you do on behalf of Dyslexia Action. I have learnt so much throughout this unit and am grateful to you for all your time and help.
Our Level 4 and 5 CPD programme is approved by The CPD Standards Office.