Specialist Dyslexia Teacher Training

Specialist Dyslexia Teacher TrainingHave you heard about recent DfE and SASC guidelines regarding Assessment Practising Certificates (APC)?

Specialist Dyslexia Teacher Training update. The Department for Education (DfE) changed its evidence requirements for applications for the Disabled Student’s Allowance (DSA; for higher education students). Dyslexia/SpLD Reports undertaken at any age will now be accepted for the purposes of a DSA. Please note: Form 8 Access Arrangement Reports are not acceptable as these are not full assessment reports.

From March 2019, dyslexia or SpLD reports at any age need to be produced by a specialist teacher assessor with an Assessment Practising Certificate (APC). Then, the APC must be issued by an SpLD Assessment Standards Committee (SASC) issuing bodies e.g The Dyslexia Guild or a practitioner psychologist registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) for them to be valid for DSA purposes.

Besides, assessment reports undertaken by a fully qualified specialist teacher assessor or an HCPC registered psychologist prior to March 2019 will now be accepted by Student Finance England (SFE) for DSA purposes. For more information, please click here here.

Would you like to apply for an Assessment Practising Certificate (APC)?

As a result, we outlined below the qualifications to become a Specialist Dyslexia Teacher Training and then apply for an APC:

1.A Specialist Dyslexia Teacher Training qualification at Level 7 or Level 5 such as:

Dyslexia Action Professional Certificate in Structured Teaching Intervention (Level 7)*


Dyslexia Action Diploma in Strategic Teaching Support for Dyslexia and Literacy (Level 5)*

*This Specialist Dyslexia Teacher Training eligible for Associate Member (ADG) with The Dyslexia Guild or ATS/APS with the BDA

2. Real Training CCET or CPT3A  and register on the British Psychological Society Register of Qualifications in Test Use  (BPS RQTU) as Test User

3. Complete Real Training Dyslexia – Professional Report Writing (DPRW)*

*Please note to enroll on DPRW module, it is mandatory to have completed CCET/CP3A, registered with the British Psychological Society Register of Qualifications in Test Use (BPS RQTU) and hold Associate Membership (ADG) with the Dyslexia Guild or ATS or APS.

After gaining the above qualifications how do I apply for an APC?

Please click here to see information and a detailed brochure of how to apply for an APC with the Dyslexia Guild.

What do you think?