Level 5 – unit courses are mapped against the Ofqual Level Descriptors as follows:
Knowledge Descriptor (the holder…)
- Has practical, theoretical or technological knowledge and understanding of a subject or field of work to find ways forward in broadly defined, complex contexts.
- Can analyse, interpret and evaluate relevant information, concepts and ideas.
- Is aware of the nature and scope of the area of study or work.
- Understands different perspectives, approaches or schools of thought and the reasoning behind them.
Skills Descriptor (the holder can…)
- Determine, adapt and use appropriate methods, cognitive and practical skills to address broadly defined, complex problems.
- Use relevant research or development to inform actions.
- Evaluate actions, methods and results.
For comparison, typical Level 5 qualifications include Higher National Diplomas, Diplomas of Higher Education and Foundation Degrees. Levels 5 broadly equates to year two of an undergraduate programme.
For further details on qualification levels see:
Qualifications can cross boundaries
What qualification levels mean
 Ofqual 15/5774 (2015) Qualification and Component Levels: Requirements and Guidance for All Awarding Organisations and All Qualifications