An Assessment Practising Certificate (APC) is a recognised standard for specialist teacher/assessors.
The Department for Education (DfE) requires that specialist teachers or support tutors who undertake specialist assessments in post-16 schools, colleges, universities, workplace training establishments and local authority assessment centres are competent and qualified to do so.
The Dyslexia Guild is an SpLD Assessment Practising Certificate (APC) awarding body issuing Assessment Practising Certificates on behalf of the SpLD Assessment Standards Committee (SASC).
Download our detailed brochure and other useful documents before applying
Download a brochure
Other useful documents:
If you have any further queries please email the APC Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org
An APC is effectively a licence to practise. It confirms that you have the appropriate qualifications to undertake full diagnostic assessments and that your professional practice is up-to-date and has been externally verified as continuing to meet defined competence standards.
The APC Certificate is issued for three years and confirms that you have the knowledge, skills and competences to assess the detailed requirements of individuals with dyslexia/SpLD.
- The Department for Education requires that those who undertake specialist assessments in post-16 schools, colleges, universities, workplace training establishments and local authority assessment centres are competent to do so
- Only APC holders can undertake diagnostic assessment reports for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) applications
- The Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) also recognises that for the purposes of Examination Access Arrangements a specialist assessor is “… a specialist teacher with a current SpLD Assessment Practising Certificate”
- Changes to legislation in 2019 mean that any diagnostic report written at any time by an APC holder can be used to apply for DSA. This means that reports now have a longer lifespan and those commissioning a report may expect to use this report over a longer period and for several purposes. Details can be found on the SASC website.
Benefits of holding an Assessment Practising Certificate
An Assessment Practising Certificate is a quality assurance standard ensuring that qualified assessors work within the rigorous regulations, are up to date with changes and best practice within each facet of psychological assessment and report writing. It is a standard that is highly respected by clients, employers, organisations and other professionals.
Full application and eligibility requirements can be found in the brochure above. To obtain an APC:
- you must be a qualified specialist teacher assessor in dyslexia/SpLD
Please click here for the SASC list of approved courses
- have at least seven years experience in providing full diagnostic assessments
The above requirements are essential and must be met PRIOR to making an application, please read the brochure above to ensure you are prepared before making an application.
How much does it cost and how to submit an application
Dyslexia Action fees are the same as all three APC issuing bodies which are set by the SpLD Assessment Standards Committee (SASC) and are detailed below (fees apply from 2018 and may be subject to change after this time).
New Assessment Practising Certificate (APC) applications
Before you apply for or renew an Assessment Practising Certificate (APC) via one of the routes below, please check you have completed and understood the following:
- Ensure your guild membership is current, if you are not a member join here
- Ensure you have completed the APC Application Agreement here (this will need to be uploaded when you submit your registration below)
- Is your assessment CPD up to date? See our SASC approved courses
- Your application process will not start until all fees are paid in full (if your organisation are paying for your application you must ensure that they pay the fee in a timely manner, your application process will not begin until payment has been received)
- All fees include a charge for registration on the SASC website for the life of the APC certificate (3 years)
- Looking to study a refresher course before you apply? Click here for further information on our SASC approved CPD courses
- If you are unable to submit your application electronically (our preferred method please contact us directly for the relevant documents in word format (if you submit by post we will require 3 copies of the application to be posted to us).
You can now apply or renew your Assessment Practising Certificate (APC) online, see routes below:
- Route 1 (qualified within the last 5 years) £180 incs.VAT
- Route 1 (plus 5 years) £255 incs.VAT
- Route 2 (Portfolio of evidence + 7 years’ experience) £555 incs.VAT
- Renewal of APC (every 3 years) £180 incs.VAT
Re-submission – £110 incs.VAT (please email email@example.com )
Submit an Application
Please ensure your guild membership is current and you have completed your APC Application Agreement to upload in your application:
What our delegates say about our APC service
Thank you for sending through detailed feedback on my submission. May I take this opportunity to thank Dyslexia Action for providing thorough feedback on my two APC submissions.